Monday, January 4, 2016

Historical Sew Monthly 2016 Planning

I wasn't exactly successful at completing all of the challenges last year, but I'm hoping to do better this year!
The challenges are:




  • January –  Procrastination  finish a garment you have been putting off finishing (a UFO or PHD) or make something you have been avoiding starting.

  • I plan on finishing a mid-19th century apron I started a while back!

  • February – Tucks & Pleating – make a garment that features tucks and pleating for the shape or decoration 

  • Maybe a chemisette with some pretty tucks. Or a petticoat; petticoats are always a good idea.

  • March – Protection – make something to protect yourself (from weather or injury) or your clothes (from soiling etc.)

  • I'm thinking an earlyish 19th cent. chemise (which protects your outer garments from sweat and other gross things)

  • April – Gender-Bender – make an item for the opposite gender, or make an item with elements inspired by the fashions of the opposite gender

  • Maybe a shirt for Dylan. I've been wanting to make him one but haven't gotten around to it.

  • May – Holes – sometimes the spaces between stuff are what makes a garment special.  Make a garment that is about holes, whether it is lace, slashing, eyelets, etc.

  • Corded stays. I've been wanting to make them forever, and I think I should be recovered and "settled" enough to get a good fit in the bust. (holes would be the eyelets for lacing)

  • June – Travel – make a garment for travelling, or inspired by travel.


  • I have no idea, I'll have to research a bit! Maybe a bonnet veil.

  • July – Monochrome – make a garment in black, white, or any shade of grey in between.


  • Ooh I don't know!

  • August – Pattern – make something in pattern, the bolder and wilder the better.


  • My green 1830s dress! I have sleeves and a skirt cut out and sewn. The pattern is rather bold and wild!

  • September – Historicism – Make a historical garment that was itself inspired by the fashions of another historical period.


  • Maybe something regency. Regency drew lots of inspiration from classical greece/rome.

  • October – Heroes – Make a garment inspired by your historical hero, or your historical costuming hero.

  • Who knows!

  • November – Red – Make something in any shade of red.

  • A dress out of my beautiful pink cotton print, maybe. I think pink counts as a shade of red!

  • December – Special Occasion: make something for a special event or a specific occasion, or that would have been worn to special event of specific occasion historically

  • I shall have to find a special occasion for which to make something!
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment